Environmental Best Practices

IAPD has adopted best practices in regard to conservation and the environment. IAPD member companies are encouraged to adopt these practices in their business operations. The best practices pertain to three issues: 1) energy, 2) emissions and 3) recycling. Active involvement in these areas is meant to achieve the following goals while increasing the profitability of our businesses:

  • Greater efficiencies
  • Consumption of fewer natural resources
  • Creation of less waste
  • Lessen our environmental footprint

Energy


Lighting

Obvious actions include:
  • Turn off lights, electronics, computers and machines when not in use.
  • Maximize the use of natural light and skylights whenever possible.
  • Use energy efficient light bulbs.
Not so obvious actions include:
  • Install motion detectors to automate the on/off switches.
  • Skylights and high “insulating” windows can save energy by reducing the need for using lights without losing heat energy.
Did you know?
Only about 10 percent of the energy used by a bulb creates light; the other 90 percent only generates heat.

HVAC

Obvious actions include:
  • Adjust your room temperatures.
  • Avoid heating and air conditioning vacant spaces.
Not so obvious actions include:
  • Seal dock doors and entryways to decrease heating and/or cooling loss.
  • Adjust air dampers and ducts.
  • Install separate controls by zone.
  • Use window covers such as blinds or shades.
  • Evaluate your insulation requirements.
Did you know?
One of the most important factors in being able to minimize energy use in a facility is to thoroughly understand how the facility uses energy and when and where it uses it.

Emissions


Automobiles, trucks and forklifts

Obvious actions include:
  • Do not leave vehicles idling.
  • Encourage carpooling and public transportation.
  • Consider hybrid vehicles.
Not so obvious actions include:
  • Enhance your warehouse layout to maximize efficiency.
  • Encourage efficient driving plans for outside sales personnel.
  • Telephone and/or video conference whenever possible.
  • Consider electric forklifts.
  • Efficiently route delivery trucks to maximize backhauls.
  • Optimize trucking and reduce redundant freight movements.
Did you know?
A 10 percent reduction of energy use from cars, trucks and buses would result in displacing nearly 1 million barrels of petroleum per day and would also reduce premature deaths from air pollution.

Recycle


Paper, plastic, glass, cardboard, pallets, aluminum and electronic devices

Obvious actions include:
  • Recycle everyday paper, plastic, glass and aluminum.
  • Recycle trim cuts of plastic sheets whenever possible.
  • Use reusable ceramic coffee mugs versus paper or foam cups.
Not so obvious actions include:
  • Use scanners, not copiers.
  • Establish an electronic faxing system.
  • Enter orders electronically and avoid spiral notebooks.
  • Encourage cut-to-size to ensure less waste downstream.
Did you know?
Production of recycled paper uses 80 percent less water, 60 percent less energy and produces 95 percent less air pollution than producing paper from new trees. Recycling one glass bottle saves enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for four hours.

Some additional ideas

  • Become active in your community conservation programs.
  • Host an environmental initiatives open house.
  • Develop energy-efficient and environmentally friendly programs for your business.
  • Encourage employee participation and enhance morale by establishing environmental improvements and cost savings.